jueves, 27 de julio de 2017

Z Fish Report (7/27/17)

John Pearce with Adolfo and me yesterday (Wednesday)
The best news I have this week, after almost 20 years of preaching the need to use circle hooks, are finally being used for live bait fishing. Maybe with time, it will transfer to the blue water fishing.

Offshore (average) surface water temperature - Includes from the 5-6 mile mark at the 100 fathom line, then to the 1,000 fathom line being at 32 miles: 86°.
Inshore (average) surface temperature. From the beach to about 5 miles: 86°
Blue water: (Chlorophyll amounts and surface temps from Terrafin SST) Blue water from the beach to way out. There are still a few isolated inshore areas with discolored water, but mostly at the river mouths. Yesterday (Wednesday), fishing the back side of the waves, we got 50 yards south of the open bar at the river mouth of Valentine and had clean water. There is a strong blue water current flowing to the north.
Offshore- The annual July mini-migration of sailfish has shut off, with the sailfish action being slow. The latest rains we have had were basically “the first flush” from the grasses and tree limbs which have fallen into the rivers.  
On our way back from fishing the inshore yesterday, we picked up Cheva, who had finished his day of fishing offshore, and had finished cleaning the Dos Hermanos II for the next day. We took him back to the pier with us.
In his gravelly voice, half talking to himself, and half taking to us, he explained his frustration for the day he had. Apparently he went out 30 miles, without a single strike from a sailfish. All he encountered was weed line after weed line, which kept the trolled baits continually fouled. This will clean up this week, and become better defined.  
After pumping me for information, he got this nice rooster today (Thursday)
 Inshore: Cheva lives near my house, so I offered him a ride home, but we must first drop off the client on Playa Ropa. He said “perfect, because I need some more live bait hooks”. I have always given these guys what they need, and he wanted circle hooks in the 4/0 to 6/0 size. I said sure, no problem.
A bait stealing needle fish, with a very
serious set of dentures.,
A couple of months earlier, I had taken him to fish with spin clients down at Puerto Vicente Guerrero, and because they would be fishing with live bait also, I had put in a tackle box all of my circle hooks. I had also included some of Keith Pauls’ hooks, because I was running low. Keith trusts me enough to keep his rods and all gear here. I told Cheva to use what he needs. But, I screwed up by not telling him to use what he needs for the ONE day of fishing.
When Cheva and I got back to my house, there wasn’t a single circle hook! Chevas’ explanation to me was “you told me to take what I needed” Now I have to email Keith.    
The roosterfish and jack crevalle bite has slowed down. I assume it was from a low pressure situation, combined with cloudy weather. Yesterday, we fished with Adolfo on the panga Dos Hermanos with fly fishing client John Pearce from the San Francisco Bay area. We ended up with 5 jack crevalle (small, medium, and large), and a couple of roosters. We got nothing on the fly rod, even though John stayed up on the bow all day. We also got 3 or 4 missed strikes on roosters on the Ranger surface popper, and hooked 3 more roosters on the popper. But, they shook the hook.
After losing a 12 pound sierra on live bait, Adolfo was starting to get frustrated. He said “necisita un gallo grade, y bravo”. In other words, the fish were not aggressive, and if they had been aggressive, it would have been whole story different than nothing with the fly rod.
Ed Kunze                                                                            
 (Director of the Roosterfish Foundation, IGFA Representative)

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario